THE MOST EXTENSIVE
ON THE INTERNET
A valiant man
Ought not to undergo, or tempt a danger,
But worthily, and by selected ways,
He undertakes with reason, not by chance.
His valor is the salt t' his other virtues,
They're all unseason'd without it.
- New Inn (act IV, sc. 3) [Valor]
Of Pan we sing, the best of leaders Pan,
That leads the Naiads and the Dryads forth;
And to their dances more than Hermes can,
Hear, O you groves, and hills resound his worth.
- Pan's Anniversary Hymn (I) [Gods]
It is not growing like a tree
In bulk, doth make man better be;
Or standing long an oak, three hundred year,
To fall a log at last, dry, bald, and sere:
A lily of a day
Is fairer far in May,
Although it falls and die that night--
It was the plant and flower of Light.
- Pindaric Ode on the Death of Sir H. Morison
[Growth : Trees]
Pleasure the servant, Virtue looking on.
- Pleasure Reconciled to Virtue [Pleasure]
The master of art or giver of wit,
- Poetaster [Eating]
Apes are apes though clothed in scarlet.
- Poetaster (act 5, sc. 3) [Apparel]
Sweet meat must have sour sauce.
- Poetaster (act III, 3) [Sweetness]
Ramp up my genius, be not retrograde,
But boldly nominate a spade a spade.
- Poetaster (act V, 3) [Names]
'Tis not the wholesome sharp mortality,
Or modest anger of a satiric spirit,
That hurts or wounds the body of a state,
But the sinister application
Of the malicious, ignorant, and base
Interpreter; who will distort and strain
The general scope and purpose of an author
To his particular and private spleen.
- Poetaster (act V, sc. 1) [Criticism]
O what is it proud slime will not believe
Of his own worth, to hear it equal praised
Thus with the gods?
- Sejanus (act I) [Power]
Men's throats with whisperings.
- Sejanus (act I, sc. 1) [Slander]
The world knows only two, that's Rome and I.
- Sejanus (act V, sc. 1) [Conceit]
Give me a look, give me a face,
That makes simplicity a grace:
Robes loosely flowing, hair as free;
Such sweet neglect more taketh me
Than all the adulteries of art;
They strike mine eyes, but not my heart.
- Silent Woman (act I, sc. 1) [Books : Neglect]
It strikes! one, two,
Three, four, five, six. Enough, enough, dear watch,
Thy pulse hath beat enough. Now sleep and rest;
Would thou could'st make the time to do so too;
I'll wind thee up no more.
- Staple of News (act I, sc. 1)
[Clocks : Jewels]
-----They write here one Cornelius--Son
Hath made the Hollanders an invisible eel
To swim the haven at Dunkirk, and sink all
The shipping there.
--But how is't done?
--I'll show you, sir.
It is automa, runs under water
With a snug nose, and has a nimble tail
Made like an auger, with which tail she wriggles
Betwixt the costs of a ship and sinks it straight.
- Staple of News (act III, sc. 1)
Care that is entered once into the breast
Will have the whole possession ere it rest.
- Tale of a Tub (act I, sc. 4) [Care]
Nay, if he take you in hand, sir, with an argument,
He'll bray you in a mortar.
- The Alchemist (act II, sc. 1) [Argument]
The burnt child dreads the fire.
- The Devil is an Ass (act I, sc. 2) [Fire]
If he were
To be made honest by an act of parliament
I should not alter in my faith of him.
- The Devil Is an Ass (act IV, sc. 1)
The Devil is an ass, I do acknowledge it.
- The Devil is an Ass (act IV, sc. 1)
Drink to me only with thine eyes,
And I will pledge with mine;
Or leave a kiss but in the cup,
And I'll not look for wine.
- The Forest--Song to Celia
[Kisses : Love : Toasts]
Follow a shadow, it still flies you,
Seem to fly, it will pursue:
So court a mistress, she denies you;
Let her alone, she will court you.
Say are not women truly, then,
Styled but the shadows of us men?
- The Forest--Song--That Women are but Men's Shadows
[Shadows : Wooing]
The thirst that from the soul doth rise,
Doth ask a drink divine;
But might I of Jove's nectar sup,
I would not change for thine.
- The Forest--To Celia [Toasts]
For he that once is good, is ever great.
- The Forest--To Lady Aubigny [Greatness]
Preserving the sweetness of proportion and expressing itself beyond expression.
- The Masque of Hymen [Expression]
Displaying page 7 of 8 for this author: << Prev Next >> 1 2 3 4 5 6  8
Support GIGA. Buy something from Amazon.