THE MOST EXTENSIVE
ON THE INTERNET
A fishmonger's wife may feed of a conger; but a serving-man's wife may starve for hunger.
- Unattributed Author,
Health to the Gentlemanly Profession of Servingmen
Hungry people cannot be good at learning or producing anything, except perhaps violence.
- Pearl Bailey
Hunger is sharper than the sword.
- Francis Beaumont and John Fletcher,
The Honest Man's Fortune
(act II, sc. 2, l. 1)
Bone and Skin, two millers thin,
Would starve us all, or near it;
But be it known to Skin and Bone
That Flesh and Blood can't bear it.
- John Byrom, Epigram on Two Monopolists
Famished people must be slowly nursed,
And fed by spoonfuls, else they always burst.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron)
When I feed the hungry, they call me a saint. When I ask why they have no food, they call me a Communist.
- Helder Camara,
in the New York Times, March 31, 1991
It is difficult to spear to the belly, because it has no ears.
- Cato (Marcus Porcius Cato "The Elder") (a/k/a Cato the Censor),
when the Romans demanded corn
Hunger is the best sauce in the world.
[Sp., La mejor salsa del mundo es la hambre.]
- Cervantes (Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra),
Don Quixote BUY VARYING HARE USED BOOK
Enough is as good as a feast.
- George Chapman, Eastward Ho!
(act III, sc. 2),
written by Chapman, Jonson, Marston
Hunger was the best seasoning for meat.
- Cicero (Marcus Tullius Cicero) (often called "Tully" for short)
I hear Socrates saying that the best seasoning for food is hunger; for drink, thirst.
[Lat., Socratem audio dicentem, cibi condimentum essa famem, potionis sitim.]
- Cicero (Marcus Tullius Cicero) (often called "Tully" for short),
De Finibus Bonorum et Malorum (II, 28)
Oliver Twist has asked for more.
- Charles Dickens, Oliver Twist (ch. II)
Hunger steals the memory.
- Louise Erdrich
Where there is Hunger, Law is not regarded; and where Law is not regarded, there will be Hunger.
- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack
There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread.
- Indira Gandhi
They that die by famine die by inches.
- Matthew (Mathew) Henry, Commentaries
Hunger is insolent, and will be fed.
- Homer ("Smyrns of Chios")
To hunger for use and to go unused is the worst hunger of all.
- Lyndon Baines Johnson
Any of us would kill a cow rather than not have beef.
- Samuel Johnson (a/k/a Dr. Johnson) ("The Great Cham of Literature")
Bid the hungry Greek go to heaven, he will go.
[Lat., Graeculus esuriens in coelum, jusseris, ibit.]
- Juvenal (Decimus Junius Juvenal), Satires
Hunger is the teacher of the arts, and the bestower of invention.
- Persius (Aulus Persius Flaccus)
The belly is the teacher of art and the bestower of genius.
[Lat., Magister artis ingeniique largitor venter.]
- Persius (Aulus Persius Flaccus),
I suspect that hunger was my mother.
[Lat., Famem fuisse suspicor matrem mihi.]
- Plautus (Titus Maccius Plautus), Stichus
(act II, 1, 1)
Obliged by hunger and request of friends.
- Alexander Pope,
Epistle to Dr. Arbuthnot--Prologue to the Satires
Hunger is the best cook.
[Lat., Fames est optimus coquus.]
- Proverb, (Latin, German)
Displaying page 1 of 2 for this topic: Next >>  2